Tuxedo-Ringwood Canal (2-22-09).
In 1765 Hasenclever built a dam at the north-end of Lake Tuxedo to divert water from the Ramapo to the Ringwood river. This was to power a waterwheel at Ringwood, which was the center of his iron-making complex. It is claimed to be the oldest canal in the country. In: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/njgs/enviroed/newsletter/v5n1.pdf it states "The first major canal known to have been constructed was the Tuxedo-Ringwood Canal in Passaic County and Orange County, New York. it was built in the 1760's to move timber from the Tuxedo Lake area to iron forges near the Ringwood Creek in New Jersey (Lenik, 1965). Subsequent research has not produced evidence for moving timber on the canal, which was 3 ft deep, 7.5 ft wide at the bottom, and 14 ft wide from bank to bank (E.J. Lenik in: The Bulletin, No. 39, March 1967, pg. 22-24).Read More